Marriage Applications & Marriage Issues

The husband, wife, or fiancé of a U.S. citizen can be sponsored to immigrate to the U.S. or to become a permanent resident. The fiancé or spouse will be issued a K-1 visa and allowed to enter the U.S. once the application is approved. If the spouse is already in the U.S., they must file for an Adjustment of Status. The process includes multiple steps:

The U.S. citizen spouse must file an Affidavit of support (I- 864) to prove they are financially able to support their spouse. The application process will consist of multiple interviews and the couple will have to prove the marriage is bona- fide and not just for the purpose of obtaining a green card. Permanent residence status will be conditional for an applicant who has been married less than two years on the date their permanent residence was given.

After two years of marriage the applicants spouse my file to have the conditions removed.


We hope that you will find our site informative and useful. Our goal is to provide the highest quality legal services to you and your business in a timely fashion. We welcome the opportunity to talk with you and to discuss how we may be of service.

(203) 934-3428

520 Main Street West Haven, Connecticut 06516


Monday-Friday: 09:00 AM to 5:00 PM